Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Smiles, smiles and more smiles



I write this in the morning of day 2 and I think I would be on the mark to report that the smile has not left my face since I arrived here! We are less than 24 hours into this experience and I am seriously on cloud nine - in fact if the clouds were ranked it would perhaps be cloud twelve. We went on our first bike ride yesterday and I do not think I have had that much of an exhilarating experience in a long time. It was amazing!




All 21 of us received our first briefing which covered all the rules, itinerary details, introductions etc we were then led to a fleet of 21 brand new bikes that are to be our transportation for the next 11 days. Wearing our matching bright red Charity Challenge shirts we posed for a 'before' shot before jumping on our bikes and forming an assembly line behind our fantastic Cambodian guide, Smey. We then rode out into what can only be described as highly organised mahem. Our Austalian guide told us, regarding the streets of Cambodia Ít's nuts but it works'. It was insane! We were surrounded on all sides by moped drivers, trucks, cars and fellow cyclists. All competing for road space and all so beautifully friendly. It is hard to become frustrated at someone coming straight for you, or cutting you off causing you to ride into the gutter when they have a gorgeous smile to accompany that action!

From the beginning of the ride I felt enormously overwhelmed by this experience. It was nothing short of intoxicating. Here we were, a group of cyclists here for the same cause, riding along the streets of Siem Reap with absolutely no barrier between us and this incredible outside world. It was just amazing. We were riding in the thick of our experience - no glass window between us, no tour guide speaking through a microphone, no foot rest or air conditioned comfort. I became convinced that we were at an incredible advantage by seeing this beautiful city this way. We had an absolute blast as we responded to the many horns being honked, children waving and as we notified each other of upcoming pot holes. The Cambodian people are just gorgeous. I think they see us as being quite the novelty which I guess we are! At any rate it was unbelieveable - an assault on all senses. At one stage a participant yelled out to me Çlaire! You haven't stopped smiling all day!' I yelled back Í know! Isnt it great!' I was indeed the cheshire cat and I was not alone.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Jen is as jealous as hell. I'm not - I know that was the last hairdryer you're going to see in a long time...

Krystal said...

I just found your blog and reading it makes me so jealous! I was in Siem Riep for almost a full week a little over a year ago. What an amazing place! I am dying to go back! That's so awesome that you and Gary get to do this together! I can't wait to get over there again some day. It changed my life.