Thursday, November 20, 2008

The final countdown... part one

The mother of all days arrived with a little fear and trepidation. The night previous we had been eating dinner when our tour leader walked us through the next day's itinerary ... there is no easy way to say '105km with hills'. Most of us gulped and went rather silent (there are a couple who seem to be genetically predispositioned to embrace such exercise - oh how I look to them in genuine awe and wonder). I then responded in the best way I knew how - with an order of a pina colada and ice cream.

Once I arrived back at the hotel I realised how anxious I was concerning the following day's itinerary when I was still awake after an hour of tossing and turning. Thank goodness I was able to get some kip as my darling fellow participants had once again agreed en masse to leave by 6am (they hate me).

We left the hotel and arrived at our first point of call, the restaurant that would serve us breakfast. Smey, our tour leader had suggested we all order beef curry since most mornings we order the usual Western fare, omelette. We took his suggestion into consideration and agreed to order more omelette.

Setting out I was pleased to find the temperature was much more tolerable today. We maintained our usual two by two or one by one formation through the streets of Kampot and onto the highway that would become our main route to Sihanoukville. Both Fiona and I were sure to pace ourselves as we had both been quite sick at some point in the days previous. We had a great catch-up on the challenge thus far. Fiona commenting that participating in the challenge was the 'best thing she has ever done'. I had heard similar comments from other participants, especially since the project visits. It was a rather scenic journey as we cycled past bright green paddy fields, rice field workers, roaming oxen and a spectacular backdrop of ominous hills. Fiona commented that this was just like riding through Devonport. I believe she may have been referring to the wind.

I felt pretty optimistic regarding the day ahead. The day before I had felt as though my energy levels have been reboosted and had cycled my best effort of the challenge. Andy had warned me that I should hang back and reserve energy for the final day however I had felt on top of the world. Well perhaps I should have heeded his advice... At approximately the 42km mark I was found vomiting into the ditch along the side of the road. The ever kind-hearted Sukum held my hair back and rubbed my back saying Ýou'll be okay Claire'. Against his advice I got back on my bike and continued to ride. After approximately 2km and repeating this thrilling exercise in abdominal acrobatics I agreed to get in the support vehicle until after lunch when I would hopefully be up for the toughest part of the challenge - the dreaded hills.

Lunch by the river was timed perfectly. We lounged under fantastic tree cover and watched as Sheila, Rebecca and Brian attacked the river with enthusiasm. It was certainly heating up. After beef noodles, chilled water and a range of fruit we were off again. Passing hundreds of school children proudly strutting along the side of the road in school uniforms we headed for Everest...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds exciting. I can't wait to find out what happened next!

lesli said...

Poor Claire, I hope your tummy has settled, and that you made it to the top of Everest. Full marks for stamina, thats the Buscke in you!

lesli said...

Pleased you didn't have curry for breakfast???????????

Shona said...

Well done to you all