Monday, November 10, 2008

Anticipation abounds

We are officially on our way to Cambodia! I write this from 40,000 feet in the air somewhere over the Pacific (or perhaps Australia) and I have spent the last hour trying to get myself to sleep. The truth is how on Earth am I to do that when the challenge that we have all been a part of for over a year now is shifting into its most exciting phase? I have reconciled with the fact that adrenaline trumps sleep for now - and to be honest I look around and see that my fellow participants join me in that sentiment!

It was fantastic to meet face to face with those that I have spoken to countless times over email and the phone. The atmosphere at check-in was nothing short of jubious. Everyone is abuzz with what is to come, albeit a tad nervous. Participants unite over common concerns ... 'Have I trained enough?' 'Have I packed everything?' 'Will I chafe while cycling?' I try to reassure them however I am acutely aware that those same questions are running rampant through my mind!

Talk continues on to that of sausage sizzles, book sales and begging family and friends for donations. I am floored at the commitment the participants - on both trips - have shown. I sit and listen and feel nothing but admiration for each participants journey in making this challenge happen. Talk moves onto training. Oh the training ... We have trained and trained and trained - to the point where many of us can no longer distinguish between our bike seat and a slab of concrete. There is a moment where we then realise that such training is but a teaser for what is to come! 500km over 10 days to raise funds and awareness for Cambodians in need. Well worth it I say.

Looking around at the participants I am struck by the simple fact that aside from a few connections we are all relative strangers, from different parts of NZ, working in different industries, of different fitness levels and yet there is this common denominator that gives me goose bumps and I believe defines the challenge - we are all wanting to make a serious difference in the lives of those less fortunate. The rather cheesey Intrepid strap line of Órdinary people, doing extraordinary things' seems to perfectly sum up the underlying motivation across these challenges. So yes, Intrepid, the cheese should stay! It works.

For now I am going to watch my inflight movie, eat my beef stirfry and well tomorrow... may this Intrepid journey begin!

No comments: